Sarah J. Pepper’s The Death of The Mad Hatter
If the king loses his head, then the Queen with a Bleeding Heart would rule the Red Court until Time ceased to move forward. When a second carried on for infinity, every creature in Wonderland would tip their Hat to the misfit girl with a Boy’s name (or was it a boy with a Girl’s name?) who’d end the Reign of Terror. However, it all hinged on the One-Eyed Hare being able to convince an uninspirable Heir that the impossible was indeed possible—like stopping time—and that Love was worth a Beheading.
Heads would Roll…
Hearts would Break…
In the end, would it matter who Reigned?
BUY LINKS :)
Amazon US: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GYGE7U8
Amazon UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GYGE7U8
There were the types of girls who dressed for guys, the type who still played dress-up, the type who lived in sweatpants, and then there was an entirely different breed who wore mismatched socks with pride. This chick fell into the last category. Why anyone could possibly think bright orange and blue would go together, unless they were a Boise State fan, was beyond my thought process. Her shoes were quite possibly handcrafted a hundred years ago, and her tattered skirt looked as though she found it in a dusty box tucked away in an attic. However, the zebra patterned gloves actually appeared to be from this decade.
“Well, it’s rather fortunate that you didn’t dribble. Mr. Ruth would have a fit if he became familiar with the underside of your pet-soaked shoe,” the girl said, petting the stuffed animal’s head. Her accent was none that I’d heard before—and I’d lived in a lot of different places. She sounded like a British gal impersonating a southern bell. “It’d be quite regrettable if anything happened to him on the first day of school. He must have fallen out of his hidey-hole.”
“You named your stuffed rabbit, Mr. Ruth?”
She covered the bunny’s ears. “Rutherford is his real name, but he hates it and makes all the other rumperbabbits call him by his nickname.”
“Bunnies, rabbits, hares—rumperbabbits. Same thing,” she said with a wink. She had the most volatile light-blue eyes that were so electrifying I couldn’t look away.
Time out—just for reference, I didn’t believe in juvenile notions, like love at first sight. In my book, time didn’t cease to move forward when two people fell in love. As a matter-of-fact, I’d have to be drunk (not on love) for such an irrational thought to enter my mind.
But, there was something magical about her. A mischievous charm. I wouldn’t have said that I necessarily liked it, but it was intriguing. She was intriguing… and new. For a town whose newspaper’s biggest story was the harvest report, having a new girl in school would most likely be headlined on The Gossiper’s front page.
About The Author
Sarah J. Pepper specializes in dark, paranormal romance – think “happy ever after” but with a twisted, dark chocolate center. Real-life romance isn’t only filled with hugs, kisses, unicorns, and rainbows. Sometimes prince-charming isn’t always on time, and the glass slipper is a little snug. However, it doesn’t mean Charming is not Mr. Right, and who says eTrue-love can be more thoroughly described in times of darkness and tribulation. It’s in those harsh moments where you see what a person is truly capable of – both the good and bad. very shoe is the perfect fit?
Keep in Touch With Sarah:
35 HUMUNGOUS Reasons why you should stop whatever STRESSFUL thing you’re doing, find some deLIGHTful candies, a cuP OF teA, a comFY BLANkeT, and welcome the MADneSs that is the “Death of the Mad Hatter!” But don’t take my word for it, because I’m already quite mad *and biased* so take theirs! (obtained from Goodreads/Amazon reviews)
- You are totally missing out if you don’t TBR right now!!! One of the greatest books of 2013!
- With random wit and phrases I dare say Sarah J. Pepper’s young Alice is better than the original.
- Stop!!! This is not your mother Alice in Wonderland!!! I want you to close your eyes and remember the first time you read or hear the story about Alice, then forget it, because Alice Mae give crazy a whole new meaning.
- Alice in Wonderland had been done, and remade a few times and lastly being with Johnny Depp, but they cannot hold a candle to this story.
- Alice Mae and Ryley are a captivating couple, and their first kiss is mesmerizing.
- I was BLOWN AWAY. I had no freaking clue how the author would turn this into something that didn’t feel like a total copy-cat novel. It was flippin’ amazing!
- I really liked the ending. Sarah J. Pepper has a wonderful sense of humor and (I can’t say it enough) a great imagination.
- It’s something to make up a new world entirely but to write your own version of an already internationally well-known fairy take is something else and an incredibly brave thing to do. I’m sure there is always this fear that you won’t pull it off but Sarah absolutely did.
- It is a fine tribute to Carroll’s “Alice in Wonderland”.
- I must admit that I was so completely drawn into this distinctive story that I needed to know if Alice Mae and/or Ryley would fulfill the prophecy.
- All the evil guys and gals were done perfectly, there was never a moment I didn’t love to hate them!
- I devoured this book in a single day because I couldn’t put it down.
- Sarah J Pepper will not let you down with this book. Its full of action, a believable romance & twists that will blow your mind.
- Everything from the wacky prophecies, to Alice Mae’s crazy make-up, I loved and couldn’t get enough of the superb and splendiferous weirdness!
- The vibrancy of which Pepper describes each and every detail brings to life the people and creatures of Wonderland so well that you want to meet each and every character.
- The uniqueness of Pepper’s tale comes from her integration of the power of candy (say it with me now, “Mmmm, candy…”), the snarky politics, an unwitting heir, and the mysterious-malicious-lying-liar-fated-lover girl with a boy’s name. And don’t even get me started on the delightful yet headache-inducing riddles (can you believe the little buggers waited to unravel themselves until the very end?!?!)! Pepper’s writing style was quirky and bizarre – and after gaining a tenuous grasp of the ever changing ebb and flow, I realized it was the perfect fit for this tale, and I loved it!
- This book is a book that I can keep reading over and over!!
- Prepare to stay alert and on the edge of your seat as you can’t wait to turn to the next page.
- If you’re a fan of the classic tale, be ready for something completely different, and completely wonderful! Sarah J. Pepper has really outdone herself with this one! Do yourself a favor, and get lost in Wonderland!
- That first page sucks you right in without letting you go. It’s just like falling down a rabbit hole, endless and inescapable.
- I think that Ryley and Alice Mae’s interactions were beautifully written. I loved that Ryley simultaneously wanted to strangle and kiss Alice Mae at the same time.
- I loved the ending of this novel because everything was resolved in the right way IMO.
- The story is fast-paced and a page turner and don’t worry there are major differences between this book and the classic one and you can’t even imagine who much more you’ll get from this story. So get ready for the huge surprise. Enjoy, folks!
- I don’t think I have ever read a take on Wonderland that was quite so amusing, disturbing, confusing and wonderful all at the same time!
- This is a wildly imaginative book filled with rich quirky descriptions, strong characters and a believable romance line.
- The story is the part that really blew me away. Whatever you know about the original Wonderland put it aside because wow this is such an original take and such an amazing telling of this story. It was so WELL DONE!!
- This compelling, heart-racing yet romantic novel leaves you on edge until the very end, rooting for all the right characters and in awe of Sarah’s incredible imagination.
- I wanted to snarl at anyone who dared interrupt my reading.
- I can only say that the imagination of Sarah J. Pepper is a twisted, magical place. One I’m pretty sure I want would like to vacation in…maybe…
- From the beginning it draws you in and keeps you going!
- I wasn’t sure what to expect with this story, but what I got surpassed anything I could have imagined! There are many takes and twists of this age-old classic. One never knows what they will get into with any of them.
- I couldn’t put this book down. I was sucked into the vortex of this complex, yet simple story.
- Alice in Wonderland gets a makeover and I approve!
- The author masterfully tells this story in first person voice through both the eyes of Alice Mae Liddell and Ryley Edward Edgar. Along with the alternating points of view, Pepper creatively weaves flashbacks of previous visits to Wonderland further transporting you into this intoxicating story.
- It was one of the best Alice in Wonderland adaptations that I have read. I was witty, fun and just plain brilliant.